Posted 02 November 2016
Harris County Attorney Vince Ryan has filed suit to stop a Texas-based distributor from marketing Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS).
The chemicals in MMS—sodium chlorite and citric acid—when mixed together become chlorine dioxide, a powerful bleaching agent that can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and severe dehydration when taken by mouth. Ryan’s petition alleges:
- Shane Hawkins promotes and sells MMS in Harris County through “seminars” offered at local hotels.
- These seminars are referred to as “Genesis II Church Sacraments: The Fundamentals of MMS.”
- This “church” has no known affiliation with any legitimate religious organization.
- The sacraments consist of mixing up and consuming MMS.
- Attendees must pay a $500 cash “donation” at the door in an envelope labeled “Genesis II Church donation c/o Rev. Shane Hawkins.”
- The donation gets a person a church membership for a year and a “Reverend Certificate.”
- Those who finish the course are promised that they will know “how to restore health from 95% of the diseases of mankind” and may “legally” use the prefix “Dr.” with their name.
The lawsuit contends that Hawkins has violated the state’s Deceptive Trade Practices Act because of the fraudulent claims about MMS and by promoting, manufacturing and selling MMS, a drug that is not legally approved as safe and effective for use. Ryan is asking the court to prevent Hawkins from promoting, manufacturing or selling any substance, including MMS, that is offered as a treatment for a disease or condition of the human body unless it has been legally approved by the Texas Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
(Link opens in new browser window)
- South America’s bitter divide over a toxic ‘Covid cure’ (MMS) 1 July, 2021
- Leader behind bleach ‘miracle cure’ claims Trump consumed his product 23 June, 2021
- Genesis II operators arrested and ordered to stop selling MMS 10 September, 2020
- Criminal charges against promoters of MMS as COVID-19 cure 14 July, 2020
- TGA initiates court proceedings against MMS Australia and director Charles Barton for alleged unlawful advertising 1 June, 2020
- FDA Warns Seller Marketing Dangerous Chlorine Dioxide Products that Claim to Treat or Prevent COVID-19 13 April, 2020
- FDA warns consumers about the dangerous and potentially life threating side effects of Miracle Mineral Solution 23 September, 2019
- The FDA Is Literally Warning People Not to Drink Bleach (MMS) 16 August, 2019
- US pastor runs network giving 50,000 Ugandans bleach-based ‘miracle cure’ (MMS) 20 May, 2019
- Contemporary bogus autism therapies summarized 24 July, 2018
- US police arrested a mother for treating her daughter’s autism with MMS 18 February, 2018
- Herbex, MMS products detained in the USA 30 November, 2017
- Texas targeting an MMS distributor 1 November, 2016
- Quackery exploiting autism families 31 October, 2016
- Miracle Bleach Cure? 23 May, 2016
- Medicines Control Council warns against the use of the unregistered medicine, Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) 13 May, 2016
- South African articles on autism and Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) 19 January, 2016
- British MMS prescriber suspended 7 December, 2015
- Autistic kids fed bleach (MMS/Miracle Mineral Solution) 4 November, 2015
- Seller of “Miracle Mineral Solution” Sentenced to Prison for Marketing Toxic Chemical as a Miracle Cure 30 October, 2015
- Major Miracle Mineral Supplement (MMS) marketer curbed in Illinois, USA 6 July, 2015
- “Miracle Mineral Solution” Seller Convicted 1 June, 2015
- Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) – The man who encourages the sick and dying to drink industrial bleach 11 January, 2015
- Health Canada seizes Miracle Mineral Solution 4 November, 2014
- ASA Ruling: Bio Sil MMS 26 July, 2014
- Miracle Mineral Solution – scam continues 26 June, 2014
- Bleach-based cure-all online remedies, e.g., MMS, could kill 5 July, 2012
- Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) – beware! 21 May, 2012
- MMS (Miracle Mineral Solution), still unsafe and a scam 16 February, 2012
- Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) – ASA ruling 15 September, 2011
- Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) safety alert 30 December, 2010
- Miracle mineral supplement / Faith Drops 3 August, 2010