Posted 30 January 2018
Miracle Magnesium, BetterYou, AquaMAG, THATMagnesium, and others make claims that magnesium can be absorbed through the skin (transdermal absorption), and that using magnesium this way will cure or treat you for a number of ailments.
We have consistently argued that very, very few substances can be absorbed through the skin, and without proof that magnesium can be, that one should consider all claims unsubstantiated, and in many cases are simply scams.
We asked BetterYou for proof that their claims could be substantiated. They sent me three articles, one of which one is published in a journal. The study, A Pilot Study to determine the impact of Transdermal Magnesium treatment on serum levels and whole body CaMg Ratios, is published in the European Journal for Nutraceutical Research. This appears to be a non-peer reviewed journal.
Searching for this article led me to a recent review (August 2017) of all transdermal magnesium studies, Myth or Reality—Transdermal Magnesium?, published in the peer-reviewed journal Nutrients. This article, makes the following points:
- In the following review, we evaluated the current literature and evidence-based data on transdermal magnesium application and show that the propagation of transdermal magnesium is scientifically unsupported.
- Extensive studies of the Israel army with a magnesium-containing skin protectant lotion (IB1) showed that magnesium is not absorbed through the skin
- The topical skin protectant lotion (IB1) containing magnesium was tested in a human study. There were no significant differences in magnesium levels between the placebo and the study groups in any of the applications.
- Based on the current studies it is extremely alarming if a successful treatment of magnesium fails by propagation of transdermal magnesium, a scientifically not yet proven form of magnesium application.
The article given a good overview of previous studies. They explain why certain studies claiming absorption is possible are deficient and not positive from a health perspective. The authors explain the physiology of magnesium, and why they have reached their conclusions.
Nutrients. 2017 Aug; 9(8): 813.
Myth or Reality—Transdermal Magnesium?
Uwe Gröber,1, Tanja Werner,2 Jürgen Vormann,2 and Klaus Kisters1,3
- Akademie für Mikronährstoffmedizin, Zweigertstr. 55, 45130 Essen, Germany;
- IPEV Institute for Prevention and Nutrition, Adalperostr. 37, D-85737 Ismaning, Germany;
- Medizinische Klinik I, St. Anna-Hospital, 44649 Herne, Germany
[note note_color=”#f8fddd”]CAMCheck posts related to Miracle Magnesium
(Link opens in new browser window)