Posted 11 April 2018
Advertising Standards Authority uses its fangs again after years of litigation
Published on 10 April 2018 in GroundUp
The Advertising Standards Association (ASA) has ruled against an advertisement run by Herbex for its Attack the Fat product. The association will instruct its members not to run the advertisement. This comes after medical doctor and consumer activist Dr Harris Steinman laid a complaint against Herbex for its lack of evidence of efficacy. Herbex chose not to participate in the ASA investigation.
On 29 March, the ASA found Herbex to be in violation of its standards code for using testimonials claiming efficacy which were not justified.
Herbex responded to the ASA ruling in a press statement affirming that “Herbex stands by personal testimonials despite [the] ASA ruling”.
Eddie Bisset, Managing Director of Herbex holding company, Newgroup Holdings, said in the statement that Herbex products are “carefully researched and formulated by industry professionals before going to market, and all manufacturers are GMP [Good Manufacturing Practice] compliant and properly certificated”.
The statement did not identify any research nor name any industry professionals.
This ASA ruling is the culmination of a legal battle between the ASA and Herbex that dates back years.
In May 2016, the High Court ruled, in a case brought by Herbex, that the ASA had no legal authority over non-members. However, in September 2017, the Supreme Court of Appeals (SCA) overturned major parts of that decision, restoring the functionality of the ASA. The SCA found that ASA does have the authority to make decisions to guide ASA members and to inform the public about non-member’s advertisements no matter “where the advertisement was published or who the advertiser is”.
The SCA also ruled that a non-member does not have to participate in the ASA’s proceedings, but the ASA can still rule on the non-member’s advertisement and instruct its members not to run it. Most mainstream media publications abide by the ASA’s decisions, so even though Herbex is not an ASA member it’s ability to advertise is affected by the ASA’s ruling.
Steinman feels that the South African Health Products Regulatory Authority (SAHPRA) — which replaced the old Medicine Control Council — is not doing enough policing of the industry. As a result, Steinman sees the ASA as an important barrier to false claims.
“I could come out tomorrow and sell sea sand and claim it will cure your cancer,” Steinman said. “They [SAHPRA] will not act against me because they are doing absolutely nothing.”
The Department of Health, which administers the SAHPRA, did not respond to request for comment.[note note_color="#f6fdde" radius="4"]CamCheck posts related to Herbex
(Link opens in new browser window)
- Evidence for claims in weight-loss ads is slimmer than you’ll be 5 July, 2021
- Herbex UltraSlim: Advertising Regulatory Board ruling 14 May, 2021
- Herbal and diet supplements ‘have no effect on weight loss’ 10 May, 2021
- New advertising authority takes firm stand against quackery 14 December, 2020
- Herbex weight loss claims cut down to size by advertising regulator – again 18 November, 2020
- Advertising Regulatory Board: Herbex Ultraslim Ruling 11 November, 2020
- Herbex vetoed by ad watchdog over slimming pills 11 November, 2020
- Science Has Shown These Five Weight Loss Supplements Are a Waste of Money 11 December, 2019
- Detoxing debunked 14 January, 2019
- How Flat Tummy Co gamed Instagram to sell women the unattainable ideal 3 September, 2018
- Quick Weight-Loss Fix? Fat Chance, As Yet Another Herbex Advert Gets Banned 13 June, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn – Bad press 7 June, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn For Men – ASA ruling 31 May, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn for Men – paying for nothing 8 May, 2018
- Creator of Herbex products shares his thinking 25 April, 2018
- Herbex made unproven claims about weight loss products 11 April, 2018
- Herbex Health slated for ‘body shaming’ ad 10 April, 2018
- ASA not mandated to comment on ‘complementary medicine’: Herbex 8 April, 2018
- Herbex weight-loss claims are unsubstantiated 6 April, 2018
- ASA bans misrepresentative Herbex ad 4 April, 2018
- Herbex: Ad for a popular SA diet product has been banned 4 April, 2018
- Herbex Fat Attack – ASA ruling 4 April, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn – Rip off? 28 March, 2018
- 5 supplements that claim to speed up weight loss – and what the science says 31 January, 2018
- Detoxing is the health ‘resolution’ you should avoid this year 8 January, 2018
- Top ten signs your detox may be a scam 29 December, 2017
- Herbex, MMS products detained in the USA 30 November, 2017
- Advertising that misleads, curbed 10 October, 2017
- Herbex misleads after legal setback 6 October, 2017
- Supreme Court of Appeal gives Advertising Authority (ASA) its fangs back 2 October, 2017
- Are diets just placebos? 14 July, 2017
- Garcinia Linked to Liver Damage 1 May, 2017
- “Detox”: Ritual purification masquerading as medicine and wellness – Detox is a Scam 3 February, 2017
- Dishing the dirt on detox 2 February, 2017
- In the UK Herbex removes its claims; in SA, Herbex takes the ASA to court 29 January, 2017
- ASA launches appeal against Herbex High Court ruling 3 June, 2016
- Court action: Herbex vs ASA 16 May, 2016
- The one thing you need to know before you detox 5 January, 2016
- Supplement manufacturers take advertising authority to court 15 November, 2015
- USN, Herbex, Antagolin, Solal and Vigro (Nativa) go to court to block ASA 6 October, 2015
- Herbex and HPA’s arguments ring hollow – ASA Final Appeal Committee Ruling 17 October, 2014
- Herbex “admits” to scam! 5 March, 2014
- Herbex Appetite Control: more Herbex nonsense? 20 January, 2014
- Herbex Attack the Fat – Scam? 18 January, 2014
- Herbex – “Take Down Notice” 9 January, 2014
- Herbex – “Schedule 0” claim 8 August, 2013
- Herbex Booster Eat Less- No proof that it works 14 May, 2013
- Herbex Attack The Fat (Hlasela Amafutha) – Does not work! 6 May, 2013
- Herbex Slimmers Drops & Tablets “Rene” advert 6 May, 2013
- Herbex Appetite Control Tablets – No proof! 12 April, 2013
- Proof – Herbex Slimmers For Men is a fat lie 7 March, 2013
- ASA Ruling: Herbex Immune Defence Syrup 17 February, 2012
- Slim HerbAqua 14 February, 2010
- Herbex – ASA rulings 1 March, 2009