Posted 29 March 2018
|Herbex is extensively advertising Herbex Fat Burn on DSTV channels, particularly on MNET, and specifically on Carte Blanche.|
Viewers who consider Carte Blanche to be a credible program, may therefore think that Herbex Fat Burn’s claims of being beneficial for weight-loss, to be valid.
There is NO evidence to support the claims that this product can result in weight loss.
There is not a single study showing that Herbex Fat Burn can result in weight-loss.
According to the Herbex website, this product contains Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze (Green tea leaves) and Paullinia cupana Kunth (Guarana seeds).
According to Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database (Unbiased, Scientific Clinical Information on Complementary, Alternative, and Integrative Therapies), previously used by Herbex’s “experts” to argue (falsely) that their products work, there is no evidence that the ingredients individually contribute to weight-loss.
In 2012, EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) assessed whether the claim that “a combination of Paullinia cupana Kunth (guarana) and Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze (green tea) extracts and reduction of body weight” was valid and truthful, concluded that “a cause and effect relationship has not been established between the consumption of a combination of Paullinia cupana Kunth (guarana) and Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze (green tea) extracts and a reduction in body weight”.
Although the dosage of the product in question is different from the Herbex product, the scientific panel concluded that there is insufficient evidence to support the claim that these 2 ingredients, through “a synergic action between guarana (rich in caffeine) and green tea (rich in epigallocatechin-3-gallate) extracts increase[s] energy expenditure and fat oxidation, and thus may help to improve weight loss“.
Worse, Herbex claims that to use the product, one has to “Dilute 25 ml of concentrate in 1 litre of cold water. Mix well. Drink throughout the day”. Imagine that for your headache, I suggest you dilute 1 panado tablet in 1 litre of water and drink throughout the day?
Don’t waste your money on this product.[note note_color=”#fdfba8″]Update 04 April 2018
We have had this product analysed to confirm whether the ingredients are present, and their dosages. We will post the full results in due time, but in the interim:
Wikipedia states that EGCG is found in high content in the dried green tea leaves (7380 mg per 100 g)
Green tea bags contain 2 grams of of green tea leaves.
Therefore, one green tea bag contains 147.6 mg EGCG** (7380 mg/50).
Herbex Fat Burn contains 10.3 mg EGCG* per 25 ml with “Directions: Dilute 25 ml of concentrate in 1 litre of cold water. Mix well. Drink throughout the day”.
*EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate measured in Herbex was approximately 412.1 mg/Litre, which works out to be 10.3 mg in 25 ml
**Other sources claim green tea bags to contain 25 mg to 86 mg EGCG per bag.[/note] [note note_color="#f6fdde" radius="4"]CamCheck posts related to Herbex
(Link opens in new browser window)
- Evidence for claims in weight-loss ads is slimmer than you’ll be 5 July, 2021
- Herbex UltraSlim: Advertising Regulatory Board ruling 14 May, 2021
- Herbal and diet supplements ‘have no effect on weight loss’ 10 May, 2021
- New advertising authority takes firm stand against quackery 14 December, 2020
- Herbex weight loss claims cut down to size by advertising regulator – again 18 November, 2020
- Advertising Regulatory Board: Herbex Ultraslim Ruling 11 November, 2020
- Herbex vetoed by ad watchdog over slimming pills 11 November, 2020
- Science Has Shown These Five Weight Loss Supplements Are a Waste of Money 11 December, 2019
- Detoxing debunked 14 January, 2019
- How Flat Tummy Co gamed Instagram to sell women the unattainable ideal 3 September, 2018
- Quick Weight-Loss Fix? Fat Chance, As Yet Another Herbex Advert Gets Banned 13 June, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn – Bad press 7 June, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn For Men – ASA ruling 31 May, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn for Men – paying for nothing 8 May, 2018
- Creator of Herbex products shares his thinking 25 April, 2018
- Herbex made unproven claims about weight loss products 11 April, 2018
- Herbex Health slated for ‘body shaming’ ad 10 April, 2018
- ASA not mandated to comment on ‘complementary medicine’: Herbex 8 April, 2018
- Herbex weight-loss claims are unsubstantiated 6 April, 2018
- ASA bans misrepresentative Herbex ad 4 April, 2018
- Herbex: Ad for a popular SA diet product has been banned 4 April, 2018
- Herbex Fat Attack – ASA ruling 4 April, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn – Rip off? 28 March, 2018
- 5 supplements that claim to speed up weight loss – and what the science says 31 January, 2018
- Detoxing is the health ‘resolution’ you should avoid this year 8 January, 2018
- Top ten signs your detox may be a scam 29 December, 2017
- Herbex, MMS products detained in the USA 30 November, 2017
- Advertising that misleads, curbed 10 October, 2017
- Herbex misleads after legal setback 6 October, 2017
- Supreme Court of Appeal gives Advertising Authority (ASA) its fangs back 2 October, 2017
- Are diets just placebos? 14 July, 2017
- Garcinia Linked to Liver Damage 1 May, 2017
- “Detox”: Ritual purification masquerading as medicine and wellness – Detox is a Scam 3 February, 2017
- Dishing the dirt on detox 2 February, 2017
- In the UK Herbex removes its claims; in SA, Herbex takes the ASA to court 29 January, 2017
- ASA launches appeal against Herbex High Court ruling 3 June, 2016
- Court action: Herbex vs ASA 16 May, 2016
- The one thing you need to know before you detox 5 January, 2016
- Supplement manufacturers take advertising authority to court 15 November, 2015
- USN, Herbex, Antagolin, Solal and Vigro (Nativa) go to court to block ASA 6 October, 2015
- Herbex and HPA’s arguments ring hollow – ASA Final Appeal Committee Ruling 17 October, 2014
- Herbex “admits” to scam! 5 March, 2014
- Herbex Appetite Control: more Herbex nonsense? 20 January, 2014
- Herbex Attack the Fat – Scam? 18 January, 2014
- Herbex – “Take Down Notice” 9 January, 2014
- Herbex – “Schedule 0” claim 8 August, 2013
- Herbex Booster Eat Less- No proof that it works 14 May, 2013
- Herbex Attack The Fat (Hlasela Amafutha) – Does not work! 6 May, 2013
- Herbex Slimmers Drops & Tablets “Rene” advert 6 May, 2013
- Herbex Appetite Control Tablets – No proof! 12 April, 2013
- Proof – Herbex Slimmers For Men is a fat lie 7 March, 2013
- ASA Ruling: Herbex Immune Defence Syrup 17 February, 2012
- Slim HerbAqua 14 February, 2010
- Herbex – ASA rulings 1 March, 2009