Posted 05 April 2018
- Claims made by Herbex in a television commercial for its slimming products have been contested.
- The Advertising Standards Authority said in a ruling it had no choice but to find that these claims were unsubstantiated.
Claims made by Herbex for its slimming products are unsubstantiated, and the company’s television commercials have been banned by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) of South Africa.
[Refers to this ASA Ruling]
Herbex, which sells its products through retailers like Game, Takealot and Clicks, recently launched a TV advertisement for its slimming products, ASA said in a statement. [Editor: in fact these adverts have been running a long time]
The ad features a spokesperson who claimed she lost 43 kilograms with Herbex since 2006. “I have kept the weight off for 10 years. Herbex has completely changed my life. My health dramatically improved in the last 10 years. So, if you want to lose weight and keep it off, get Herbex,” she says in the ad. The ad claims that Herbex is “South Africa’s No.1 slimmers’ Brand”.
Dr Harris Steinman, medical doctor and consumer activist, filed a complaint with ASA, saying there is no objective evidence that the product has any significant effect on weight-loss.
He contended that the ad needed to indicate that the product has only been shown to be effective in a certain percentage of users; that significant weight-loss is unlikely; and that the product must be used in conjunction with calorie-restricted diet and exercise, or else it is most likely to have no effect at all. [Editor: not exactly, the point was that Herbex has no effect – weight-loss is solely due to the user following a diet]
“No product has been shown to have any impact on long term weight-control, and in calorie-controlled diets, the majority of users not being able to sustain these diets,” according to Steinman.
In its response, Herbex said it is not a member of the ASA. It didn’t respond to the merits in the complaint.
ASA said it had no choice but to find that the efficacy claims in the commercial are unsubstantiated. SA’s Code of Advertising states that ads can’t contain any claims to efficacy which cannot justifiably be attributed to the use of the product.
The commercial was therefore found to be in contravention of the code, and ASA’s members were instructed not to broadcast it.
Herbex is a division of Newgroup, owned by Capetonian Eddie Bisset. Bisset also owns the hemp oil company Cannabex.
[Editor: Eddie Bisset also owns Regal, a company claiming that their herbal concoctions will effectively treat and cure your pet’s eczema, and other conditions – without any solid evidence to support these claims][note note_color="#f6fdde" radius="4"]CamCheck posts related to Herbex
(Link opens in new browser window)
- Evidence for claims in weight-loss ads is slimmer than you’ll be 5 July, 2021
- Herbex UltraSlim: Advertising Regulatory Board ruling 14 May, 2021
- Herbal and diet supplements ‘have no effect on weight loss’ 10 May, 2021
- New advertising authority takes firm stand against quackery 14 December, 2020
- Herbex weight loss claims cut down to size by advertising regulator – again 18 November, 2020
- Advertising Regulatory Board: Herbex Ultraslim Ruling 11 November, 2020
- Herbex vetoed by ad watchdog over slimming pills 11 November, 2020
- Science Has Shown These Five Weight Loss Supplements Are a Waste of Money 11 December, 2019
- Detoxing debunked 14 January, 2019
- How Flat Tummy Co gamed Instagram to sell women the unattainable ideal 3 September, 2018
- Quick Weight-Loss Fix? Fat Chance, As Yet Another Herbex Advert Gets Banned 13 June, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn – Bad press 7 June, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn For Men – ASA ruling 31 May, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn for Men – paying for nothing 8 May, 2018
- Creator of Herbex products shares his thinking 25 April, 2018
- Herbex made unproven claims about weight loss products 11 April, 2018
- Herbex Health slated for ‘body shaming’ ad 10 April, 2018
- ASA not mandated to comment on ‘complementary medicine’: Herbex 8 April, 2018
- Herbex weight-loss claims are unsubstantiated 6 April, 2018
- ASA bans misrepresentative Herbex ad 4 April, 2018
- Herbex: Ad for a popular SA diet product has been banned 4 April, 2018
- Herbex Fat Attack – ASA ruling 4 April, 2018
- Herbex Fat Burn – Rip off? 28 March, 2018
- 5 supplements that claim to speed up weight loss – and what the science says 31 January, 2018
- Detoxing is the health ‘resolution’ you should avoid this year 8 January, 2018
- Top ten signs your detox may be a scam 29 December, 2017
- Herbex, MMS products detained in the USA 30 November, 2017
- Advertising that misleads, curbed 10 October, 2017
- Herbex misleads after legal setback 6 October, 2017
- Supreme Court of Appeal gives Advertising Authority (ASA) its fangs back 2 October, 2017
- Are diets just placebos? 14 July, 2017
- Garcinia Linked to Liver Damage 1 May, 2017
- “Detox”: Ritual purification masquerading as medicine and wellness – Detox is a Scam 3 February, 2017
- Dishing the dirt on detox 2 February, 2017
- In the UK Herbex removes its claims; in SA, Herbex takes the ASA to court 29 January, 2017
- ASA launches appeal against Herbex High Court ruling 3 June, 2016
- Court action: Herbex vs ASA 16 May, 2016
- The one thing you need to know before you detox 5 January, 2016
- Supplement manufacturers take advertising authority to court 15 November, 2015
- USN, Herbex, Antagolin, Solal and Vigro (Nativa) go to court to block ASA 6 October, 2015
- Herbex and HPA’s arguments ring hollow – ASA Final Appeal Committee Ruling 17 October, 2014
- Herbex “admits” to scam! 5 March, 2014
- Herbex Appetite Control: more Herbex nonsense? 20 January, 2014
- Herbex Attack the Fat – Scam? 18 January, 2014
- Herbex – “Take Down Notice” 9 January, 2014
- Herbex – “Schedule 0” claim 8 August, 2013
- Herbex Booster Eat Less- No proof that it works 14 May, 2013
- Herbex Attack The Fat (Hlasela Amafutha) – Does not work! 6 May, 2013
- Herbex Slimmers Drops & Tablets “Rene” advert 6 May, 2013
- Herbex Appetite Control Tablets – No proof! 12 April, 2013
- Proof – Herbex Slimmers For Men is a fat lie 7 March, 2013
- ASA Ruling: Herbex Immune Defence Syrup 17 February, 2012
- Slim HerbAqua 14 February, 2010
- Herbex – ASA rulings 1 March, 2009