Posted 02 February 2016
This article written by Katie Worth,
Given this framework, there is little to guarantee that any vitamin, mineral, probiotic, sports supplement, herbal treatment, or other dietary supplement is safe, effective, or even contains what’s on its label.
While there are no guarantees, there are steps consumers can take to improve the chances that their supplements contain what they claim to, in the labeled quantities, and that they may indeed have a health benefit. Here are five questions a consumer may want to ask when considering supplements:
1. Has the product triggered any health warnings or sanctions?
2. Has the product been tested by independent labs?
3. Is the product too good to be true?
4. Is there evidence that the supplement does what it promises?
5. Do I really need supplements? If so, am I taking the right amount?
Read more on these questions