A Man Got Kidney Failure From Taking Too Much of Vitamin D

Posted 22 May 2019

ScienceAlert

Too much of a good thing can be downright disastrous. After taking 8 to 12 drops of concentrated Vitamin D every day for two-and-a-half years, a 54-year-old man in Canada has inadvertently and permanently damaged his kidneys.

He used it as prescribed by a naturopath at a dose well above the recommended daily allowance, and now it has taken a year of treatment for the patient’s blood to return to normal, while some organs never will – he is ultimately burdened with stage 3B chronic kidney disease.

The physicians who published his case in a medical journal are worried that others might fall into the same innocent trap.

“Our experience informs us that patients and clinicians should be better informed about the risks regarding the unfettered use of vitamin D,” the authors suggest.

“Given new findings from the US Preventive Services Task Force, current Canadian Read the rest

US pastor runs network giving 50,000 Ugandans bleach-based ‘miracle cure’ (MMS)

Posted 20 May 2019

Revealed: group led by Robert Baldwin and part-funded by Sam Little claims toxic fluid will eradicate HIV/Aids and other diseases

Ed Pilkington in New York and Alon Mwesigwa in Kampala Sat 18 May 2019 06.00 BST

The Guardian

An American pastor from New Jersey backed by a British former clairvoyant is running a network that gives up to 50,000 Ugandans a “miracle cure” made from industrial bleach, claiming drinking the toxic fluid eradicates cancer, HIV/Aids, malaria and most other diseases.

The network, led by pastor Robert Baldwin and part-funded by Sam Little from Arlesey in Bedfordshire, is one of the most extensive efforts yet to distribute the “miracle cure” known as MMS, or “miracle mineral solution”. The Guardian has learned that poor Ugandans, including infants as young as 14 months old, are being given chlorine dioxide, a product that has no known health benefit and can Read the rest

Slimming to the Death: Herbalife®-Associated Fatal Acute Liver Failure

Posted 05 May 2019

Abstract

Herbalife® is a global nutrition and weight management company selling and marketing nutritional and weight loss supplements. The United States Federal Trade Commission described Herbalife® in 2016 as a scam disguised as healthy living. Herbalife®-associated liver injury was reported from multiple countries in the West. India is fast becoming the largest growing market for Herbalife® products, expected to surpass the United States in sales revenue. We report the first case of a fatal acute liver failure from the Asia-Pacific region, in a young woman who consumed Herbalife® products over 2 months. We also present unsettling data that showcase heavy metal contamination, toxic compounds, psychotropic substances, and pathogenic bacterial contamination in similar Herbalife® products in India. The growth of Herbalife® in India and expansion of its nutrition clubs in major cities that promise fake health benefits portend a serious public health concern.

Slimming to the Death:

Read the rest